automoc in kdesupport-issue

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Jul 19 15:49:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

several weeks ago we (me and Matthias) moved automoc from kdelibs to
kdesupport so that the automoc-functionality ( #include "foo.moc" and all the
rest happens magically) can be used also by non-KDE apps, as e.g. phonon,
akonadi, etc..

This works so far, but we kept automoc in kdelibs so it could be used
optionally in case kdesupport wasn't current. We made automoc from kdesupport
mandatory a few weeks ago, so the first release which requires automoc from
kdesupport was 4.1RC1.
It seems this didn't go very smoothly.
There are some complaints from people who couldn't build KDE because they
didn't have automoc (from kdesupport). We haven't done an official separate
automoc release yet.

How should this be handled ?
(I would like if kdesupport would be released together with the rest of KDE,
or at least be tagged, so later on it is easier to find a matching version)

Alex