[24h] 6 months release schedule, 4.1 in July

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 20:09:15 CET 2008

Le jeudi 17 janvier 2008, Matt Rogers a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 01:14:28AM +0100, Sebastian Kuegler wrote:
> > So I went through the recent emails regarding the release schedule. Since
> > the discussion has fallen silent, I think pretty much everything has been
> > said. My impression from re-reading all those emails is that most people
> > would like to adopt a 6 months schedule, and that July would be a good
> > time for 4.1.
> >
> > I therefore propose to adopt a 6 months release schedule, starting to
> > release in July with 4.1, then in January 2009 4.2, and so on.

I have nothing against July for KDE 4.1

But i don't see the need to have a fix "6 months release schedule", and so i
would not plan KDE 4.2 yet.
I think that after each versions we should reconsider the date of the next
release. Considering

- Distribution need and release date
- Releases of Qt and others depedences
- Planed features.
- Feedback from the previous and the current version.
- ....

> > If you decide to object, please come up with a counter-proposal as to not
> > block KDE from moving on.

So basically i propose to not schedule KDE 4.2 yet.

> I object, actually. Considering the current release schedules of the
> various distros, I actually think a release in August or September would
> be better for KDE 4.1.
>
> [...] And then if we want the distros to ship a x.y.0

Why would we or distro want that?
It's a fact that x.y.0 releases have more bugs. So the default installed
system should probably better if z>=1

Also, we don't need to aling on distro. Distro should align on us if they
want. :-)

--
Olivier