[24h] 6 months release schedule, 4.1 in July

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Thu Jan 17 10:19:50 CET 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 05:38:29 Matt Rogers wrote:
> I'm in the process of coming up with a schedule with a release in late
> August, which should give us enough wiggle room to push it into
> September if needed. It should be done in enough time so that it can be
> somewhat discussed before Aaron's keynote on Friday. ;)

I thought about this as well, but:

- Mandriva says July would be perfect (they're shipping KDE by default, so
  they're pretty important)
- It would just miss the coming openSUSE release, but align pretty well with
  their follow-ups (if I understand coolo correctly)
- It's before Ubuntu's feature freeze (which is, I think in August, and aligns
  well in the future due to the same rhythm)
- We'll be missing Debian Lenny in any case (even with 4.0).

I didn't really find out how other distros release exactly (more input data
welcome!). I find the above pretty good arguments for July, and not later.
(Also considering that we don't want to wait too long with 4.1.)
--
sebas