KDE 4.1 planning

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 17:17:45 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > if we do go for a june/july release of 4.1 perhaps we can also use that
> > as a learning experience to see just how well it does work (though
> > understanding that we do have a unusual load of 90% done stuf =).
>
> could you list the "load of 90% stuff" explicitely please? That would be an
> excellent list of release goals for 4.1.

* windows port
* mac port

(both work, but both have rough edges before they can really be
considered "production" ... progress is good, though; kontact now works at is
most basic level on windows as of the other day, including checking mail =)

* functional solaris build (again, mostly working .. mostly rough edges and
dependencies)
* plasma with WoC instead of its own widgets system, completed ZUI and
webkit-on-canvas (we actually have code for the latter already ready to go,
including a loader for apple dashboard widgets)
* pim apps getting akonadi backends
* decibel
* kopete (essentially works now, but afaik still has rough edges as well)
* file views in dolphin/konq/kfiledialog are really only 95% feature complete
* various shared tidbits like shared servicemenus; David did a good amount of
that work in time for 4.0 but there is still a bit left to do
* kdevelop and kdevplatform (they might actually be more 75% there, i need to
check in on that project again and brush up on what the exact status is now)
* GHNS2+DXS
* plasmagik application add-on creator (the creator's end of GHNS2)

and then, of course, there are all the apps which are pretty well bristling
with possibilities for quick feature adds. trivial example: konsole had
the "output to multiple terminals" feature pulled just before 4.0 due to it
almost-but-not-quite working, requiring some deeper work that Robert didn't
feel he could get in time for 4.0. so that's a feature that's actually mostly
complete in the code, just needs some additional work.

kde + linuxmce integration should also be ready for a summer release,
including their new qt based ui and plasma components.

gwenview is similar. the games and edu team are both chomping at the bit for
4.1 as well, but i don't have the level of detail for them that their team
leaders would though i did read over the games project's 4.1 goals draft
which they are working on and it looks to be a pretty exciting release for
them.

and that's just off the top of my head =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se