KDE 4.1 planning

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 17:05:24 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> a) plasma waits for Qt 4.4 to bring new features for widget integration,
> which will deprecate and change many parts of the plasma api

it will deprecate some of the widgets and most (all?) of the layouts. all the
rest of the API remains; looking at the classes that's probably 2/3rds
remains as-is with the widgets/layouts moving to deprecated status.

> b) nobody seems to actually know whether Qt 4.4 delivers what is needed
> becuause it hasn't been tried yet.

having started to "kick the tires" of 4.4 i'm growing more confident that, at
least for plasma, it will be a marked improvement.

> c) there is no fixed plan yet wether to require Qt 4.4 or not.

i'd like to make an official request that 4.1 requires 4.4 =) without this i
can't guarantee BC in libplasma, which is one of our goals for 4.1. getting
WoC in is a pretty important step for us.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se