Proposed KDE 4.1 Release Schedule

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 12:25:53 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 11:34:39 Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > Not perfect, but it's a start. Comments?
>
> I miss the following information:
>
> a) Why was July chosen? Was it because it is 4.0 + 6months?  So if it is
> "old release + 6months", then we go back to the idea of aligning with
> distributions. Proposing a 6 month cycle, but aligning it to the 4.0 date
> which was decided by a release event plan is not a good choice imho. Note
> that I do principally like the 6 month cycle.

July should work for Fedora, Ubuntu assuming three months is enough to do the
integration work. Maybe you (or coolo) can fill in openSUSE plans? (Those on
the website are not particularly helpful.)

For Ubuntu and Fedora it looks like they're releasing in April and October.

> b) 3 weeks between beta1 and RC1 means that we can not squeeze in another
> beta without delaying the schedule. What was the intent of that proposal?

So -beta1 at freeze, -rc1 4 weeks before -final, if it turns out to be a
rotten applet, we do another -rc2 ten days before -final. How about this?

> as a rough approximation: we can do release candidates roughly weekly. We
> can do beta's roughly every 3-4 weeks.

Doing RCs weekly means we need to cut down time for packagers (which I think
is OK). We should then aim for release of the RC three days after tagging.
--
sebas