KDE/kdelibs/cmake/modules

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jan 4 11:52:31 CET 2008

On Friday 04 of January 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, Luboš Luňák wrote:
> > SVN commit 756696 by lunakl:
> >
> > Consistent naming for xf86misc - include and flag are xf86misc, lib is
> > Xxf86misc.
>
> I'm not sure this change is good:
>
> This is a source incompatible change.
> Somebody may use these variables and now they don't exist anymore, so his
> build may fail.

 It will at most not detect the feature, but even then that's very unlikely,
as xf86misc is only very special functionality.

> We are at the day of the tagging, IMO too late for such changes.

 It was broken.

> It makes our FindX11.cmake incompatible to the one in CMake, which makes it
> harder for us to use the CMake version, since it requires more changes once
> we do that (after merging differences etc.).
>
> Did you intentionally leave the name X11_Xxf86misc_LIB as it is ?

 The library is called so. It really wasn't my idea to call the header
xf86misc.h and the library libXxf86misc.so. But I guess I shouldn't have.

 The cmake symbols for various X11 things are an inconsistent mess, probably
to match the X11 mess itself, but this one stood out - others are randomly
either the header name alone or with X prepended, but this one was
capitalized and matched neither xf86vmode next to it nor the lib name.

> I feel like reverting this patch both for 4.1 and 4.0 would be the best
> thing to do.

 I suggest leaving it as it is for 4.0 and naming it xxx_xf86misc_xxx
otherwise.

> Since I don't know in which other places you had to commit
> changes to use these new names I don't feel like doing that myself.

 kdebase/workspace/ConfigureChecks.cmake (r756698) was the only one. The _LIB
symbol is also used in kdebase/workspace/krunner/lock/CMakeLists.txt.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz