Removing settings:/ ioslave ?

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Thu Jan 3 13:41:07 CET 2008

Hi Albert and all,

> Hi, as of now, settings:/ ioslave it is not working, if you look at its code,
> the listings of the settings:/ ioslave comes from the contents built at
> buildsycoca state of what it is defined in the Settings/ submenu entry
> defined by kde-settings.menu
>
> The problem is that right now, kcm entries are not Type=Application anymore,
> they are now Type=Service so they are not taken into account in menu building
> time so what you get in settings:/ is the KDE3 kcm if you have any or nothing
> otherwise.

Well, probably settings:/ can be fixed, but I wonder if it is worth
the effort. Apart from this decision (if we decide to kill or fix
kio_settings protocol, which involves as you might now,
applications:// programs:// and settings://), I would like to know if
there are more changes that can be done for 4.0.1, for example:

- Does kdebase/runtime/kcontrol/menus existence make any sense ?
- Could kdebase/runtime/kcontrol be renamed to something else ?
- Could kdebase/workspace/kcontrol be renamed to something else ?

> So basically i'm requesting for permission to remove it and for a suggestion
> of what to do with the nice settings:/ link we have in konqueror start page.

In the case that someone wants to rewrite it we could move it for now
to playground, and then someone can work on it, make it work, and
later move it back to kdebase, if we decide it shouldn't be killed yet.

Bye and thanks,
Rafael Fernández López.