A Proposal: EOL 4.1, Branch 4.2, Start 4.3

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Fri Dec 5 12:48:59 CET 2008

Op vrijdag 05 december 2008 11:44 schreef u:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > Based upon the recent "reopen trunk for KDE 4.3" thread, I humbly submit the
> following proposal:
> >
> > 1) 4.2 Beta2 is tagged on 9 December (already scheduled)
> >
> > 2) 4.2 is branched on 10 December
> >
> > 2) Trunk is wide-open for 4.3 immediately after 4.2 branching, on 10 December
> >
> > 3) 4.1.4 will be the last of the 4.1 releases.  4.1.4 tagging is 10 December
> >
> > So, bug fixes found in trunk starting on 10 December will only need to be
> > backported to the new 4.2 branch.
> >
> > Communicate that bugfixing is still a top priority until 4.2.0 is released.
>
> You said it yourself: bug fixing is top priority, why make it more
> difficult? I am against prematurely thawing trunk as quite a few
> developers will shift from bug fixing into feature development (I can
> see myself doing this) even if they know they will let some bugs get
> into 4.2 that could have been avoided. Trunk should remain in whatever
> mode that will benefit the top priority--if feature additions are top
> then it's thawed, if it's bug fixing then it's frozen.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking until recently, after that I realised that some applications do not contain obvious bugs and that they want to continue with features. Also you can also see the support for the 'always summer in trunk' idea within the community, I think we should not ignore that.

So, although I do agree with you for some part, I would like to try this now to see how it goes. If it really does not work, we should reconsider it for the 4.3 release, if the results are ok, then we are one step closer to the always summer in trunk idea.

Best,

Toma