A Proposal: EOL 4.1, Branch 4.2, Start 4.3

Lucas Murray lmurray at undefinedfire.com
Fri Dec 5 11:44:45 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Allen Winter <winter at kde.org> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Based upon the recent "reopen trunk for KDE 4.3" thread, I humbly submit the following proposal:
>
> 1) 4.2 Beta2 is tagged on 9 December (already scheduled)
>
> 2) 4.2 is branched on 10 December
>
> 2) Trunk is wide-open for 4.3 immediately after 4.2 branching, on 10 December
>
> 3) 4.1.4 will be the last of the 4.1 releases.  4.1.4 tagging is 10 December
>
> So, bug fixes found in trunk starting on 10 December will only need to be
> backported to the new 4.2 branch.
>
> Communicate that bugfixing is still a top priority until 4.2.0 is released.

You said it yourself: bug fixing is top priority, why make it more
difficult? I am against prematurely thawing trunk as quite a few
developers will shift from bug fixing into feature development (I can
see myself doing this) even if they know they will let some bugs get
into 4.2 that could have been avoided. Trunk should remain in whatever
mode that will benefit the top priority--if feature additions are top
then it's thawed, if it's bug fixing then it's frozen.

RC 1 is a good thawing date (Maybe even a week before it), not beta 2.