Konqueror questions.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 17:50:04 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 September 2007 11:28:06 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> > > At Tuesday 25 September 2007 15:17, you wrote:
> > marking things all over the place as "showstoppers" may seem responsible
> > from a release perspective,
>
> we are the "release team" after all.
> so it seems reasonable to look at things from a "release perspective".

indeed; however, it is not the only perspective and i'm trying to help provide
some other perspectives as well. combined, we may make better decisions.

> > but .. yeah. kmail and kate as "showstoppers", given
> > the purpose and scope of 4.0 as a release along with our goals (e.g.
> > releasing in a reasonable time frame versus allowing ourselves to
> > endlessly delay things), seem a bit odd to me.
>
> You also need to balance having a release that is somewhat useful
> to somebody.  If all we want is a pretty desktop without any useful
> apps then we have the KDE Development Platform out by 30Oct
> and we are done.

are you seriously suggesting that KDE without kmail and kate constitutes a
desktop "without any useful apps"? there's a balance point somewhere in here.
and as i said in my first email, i thought we'd already achieved consensus
that said "running kde3 kdepim apps is fine for 4.0, with the goal of having
kde4 pim apps ready for prime time in 4.1"? so i'm seeing a slippage here in
our consensus that seems to be endangering our ability to release in a
suitable time frame.

(though i was just using kate this morning to see how good it is and it seems
to not be seriously broken atm? =)

p.s. i'm on this mailing list, no need to cc me =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se