Tagging beta 3.

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Sep 24 23:58:51 CEST 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 5:22:13 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 23 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In an effort to see how things look just before the tagging (beta 3 is
> > planned to be tagged the 26th), I checked out and build KDE4.
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know that currently there is no panel and no start
> > menu. That means everything has to be done by krunner. A lot of plasma
> > applets I tried made plasma crash and alt-tab was barely usable. I know
> > kde4 is about much more that plasma, but the user experience is currently
> > not very good. In my opinion it would be a mistake to tag KDE in this
> > state. And I'm almost crying when I say this.
>
> one could simply tag workspace/libs/plasma and workspace/plasma from a week
> ago... then you get a panel, but still no working applications menu as that
> never was there. that's next on my list of things to do; unfortunately the
> other two groups that may have been working on such a thing have failed to
> produce anything useful for kde 4.0. =( so it's one more thing for me to do;
> i could go as simple as porting the kicker kmenu in all it's crapitude (it's
> the easiest thing to do, but would be dissapointing).

I don't think we should have another beta without a panel.
And it shouldn't be old stuff either.  It should be new goodness.

My opinion: delay the next beta until we have a more functional workspace.

Aaron: we know there is an awful lot of pressure on you.  Not fair.
But, can you give us an estimate of a somewhat-operational Plasma panel?
2 weeks?  2 months? 6 months?

If 2 weeks, maybe we can delay the beta a bit.
If 2 months, might as well have the next beta on schedule.
If 6 months, we can delay the next beta a couple months.

-Allen