Tagging beta 3.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 24 23:22:13 CEST 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In an effort to see how things look just before the tagging (beta 3 is
> planned to be tagged the 26th), I checked out and build KDE4.
>
> I just wanted to let you know that currently there is no panel and no start
> menu. That means everything has to be done by krunner. A lot of plasma
> applets I tried made plasma crash and alt-tab was barely usable. I know
> kde4 is about much more that plasma, but the user experience is currently
> not very good. In my opinion it would be a mistake to tag KDE in this
> state. And I'm almost crying when I say this.

one could simply tag workspace/libs/plasma and workspace/plasma from a week
ago... then you get a panel, but still no working applications menu as that
never was there. that's next on my list of things to do; unfortunately the
other two groups that may have been working on such a thing have failed to
produce anything useful for kde 4.0. =( so it's one more thing for me to do;
i could go as simple as porting the kicker kmenu in all it's crapitude (it's
the easiest thing to do, but would be dissapointing).

also, alt-tab has NOTHING to do with plasma. so don't go blaming plasma for
that ;)

as for the applets crashing, backtraces would be nice. be sure you've actually
rebuilt them, of course, as the API for libplasma still changes from time to
time requiring applets written in C++ to be rebuilt...

beyond plasma land, i would -really- like to be able to tag extragear apps as
well. so IF we do tag a beta3, i would personally like to help tag some of
extragear; kdegraphics at a *bare* minimum. please let me know how to
coordinate that with you.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se