Revised Release Schedule

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 5 15:17:11 CEST 2007

Here's a proposal for a revised release schedule, taking into account comment
by various people over the last week. Especially Dirk being on vacation and
the release date being to close to Christmas are major flaws in the current
schedule.

I've removed beta4 since otherwise it all gets too close (basically what
Torsten complained about).The total freeze has moved a bit backwards in time,
giving us another 5 weeks for features. After those 5 weeks. there's 7.5
weeks for bugfixing. So after three betas, we'll release -rc3 as the final
4.0. This schedule also splits of an SDK release for late October, making it
easier for 3rd party developers to start working. Please also note that the
Beta 3 will be the first one to include a release of the extragear module.

It would also be good to get some timeframe from the plasma people so we know
if this is workable.

KDE SDK Release
=================
The KDE Software Development Kit contains all the bits and pieces needed for
developing KDE4 applications. This includes kdesupport, kdelibs, kdepimlibs
and kdebase/runtime.

3 October: Total Release Freeze, only critical bugfixes to the SDK
24 October: Tagging (Wed)
30 October: Release (Tue)

KDE 4.0 Desktop Release
========================
The KDE 4.0 Desktop includes libraries, the workspace and basic applications
needed for a basic working environment, such as a text editor, a filemanager,
an email client, image and document viewers.

6 September: Release KDE 4.0 Beta 2 (Thu)

26 September (Wed): Tagging KDE 4.0 Beta 3
2 October (Tue): Release KDE 4.0 Beta 3

October 12 (Fri): Total Release Freeze, bugfixes only

19 October (Wed): Tagging KDE 4.0 RC1
25 October (Tue): Release RC1

7 November (Wed): Tagging RC2
13 November (Tue): Release RC2

5 December (Wed): Tagging RC-final
11 December (Tue): Release KDE 4.0 Desktop

OK to update techbase and announce it like this?
--
sebas