Release dates/nomenclature

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Sun Sep 2 12:53:18 CEST 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 23:29, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 01 September 2007 11:45:07 am Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 September 2007 17:30:34 Matt Rogers wrote:
> > > That's no different than what we have now. The problem is that people
> > > seem to be too interested in fixing Krazy issues rather than fixing
> > > actual bugs. How do you propose we get them interested in fixing real
> > > bugs?
> >
> > Stop running the not-so-interresting krazy tests? ;)
>
> We can pull the plug on the EBN entirely.

That's like turning off compiler warnings because you don't want people to fix
them either. It's possible, but I'd rather try to rely on the discipline of
our developers to fix what is needed. The EBN has always been a reporter
of "the last mile" of little fixes; I don't think we've ever suggested that
issues reported by the EBN are related to functionality, real bugs (defects
encountered at runtime) or releaseability.

The use of the words "pull the plug" garners a "fuck it all, i'll reuse the
domain for a LOLcats parody" response from me.

> I don't think that will help get bugs fixed, but at least
> it will reduce the number unneeded re-compiles.
>
> I had no idea Krazy/EBN was doing such so harm to the project.
> That was not the intention.

Communicate that to your developers. Give them priorities. Impress upon them
the importance not of polishing th internals of the code until they shine,
but on fixing the big ugly warts on the outside. There's a Sirius Cybernetics
Corporation segue here, and I'm going to skip it.

[ade]