Release schedule clarifications

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Wed Oct 24 16:27:05 CEST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> (all deadlines are due 23:59 UTC)
>
> 24 October (Wed): KDE 4.0 Release Freeze

I don`t really like to work in the middle of the night though. I`ve had a
short look at the state of today, assuming that I`m supposed to tag a final
release of the KDE 4.0 platform.

These are the current list of showstoppers:

a) it does not even compile (see http://ktown.kde.org/~dirk/dashboard)
b) even if it would compile, it doesn`t really start up for me.
b) there is no way currently to define a platform version number different
than the KDE version number.
c) kdebindings does not compile ATM

Regarding b), does it make sense to rename the current KDE_VERSION into a
KDE_PLATFORM_VERSION and export a KDE_WORKSPACE_VERSION (not sure where we
should get it from, has to be generated from somewhere within
kdebase/workspace). This would be source incompatible, thought the fallout
could be fixed pretty easily (unfinished patch attached, just to get the
idea).

> - Deep freeze (changes only by release team)

I don`t like the "deep freeze" terminology. I would like to have everybody
else fix the build instead of the release team. Especially those that broke
it ;)

Also, I find it hard to believe that we want to go from a nearly "ignored"
Beta3 state to a "4.0 final" state for the platform without a release
candidate inbetween.

The additional trouble is that the new release schedule asks for a
kdebase-runtime tarball, which does not exist yet. So I first have to create
one and that is probably not easy in the first try. That alone justifies a
release candidate for me.

So, my current plans are:

a) fix the build
b) sort out the version number mess.
c) do a release candidate build tomorrow morning.
d) decide on the feedback (which hopefully comes :) )

Another issue that doesn`t seem to be solved so far is that we don`#t have a
clear list of things that are just there that are going to be deprecated with
the 4.0 release (kjsembed? khtml? kjs? plasma layouting stuff which (I heard
rumours) is going to be deprecated with Qt 4.4?)).

Thanks,
Dirk