[Kde-pim] Make KDE PIM 4 installable in parallel to KDE PIM 3

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Tue Oct 23 02:20:25 CEST 2007

On Sunday 21 October 2007 10:09:41 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Sunday 21 October 2007 11:02:43 am Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 October 2007 14:48:23 Allen Winter wrote:
> > > I hope it doesn't come to this.
> > > If there are KDEPIM4 apps that are cause data loss or *really suck*
> > > then we I think we simply shouldn't build them in the toplevel
> > > CMakeLists.txt.
> >
> > I don't think we have apps in KDE PIM which are in such a bad state that
> > they shouldn't be part of the release. But apps which work on critical
> > data don't get that much test coverage as users are more cautious and
> > don't expose their real data to non-stable versions. So having old and
> > new versions available in parallel would give users a choice and offer a
> > softer migration path.
> >
> > That said, of course we should get all apps as stable as possible. I'm
> > just not sure we can actually reach a quality level which is as high as
> > we want it to be, especially for KMail given that there aren't much
> > people which are courageous enough to work on it (or even use it).
>
> Ah, so I see where you are going with this... do we want to have a kmail4
> that courageous people can try out and report bugs, but isn't the default
> kmail?
>
> My opinion.. if the developers aren't brave enough to use KMail then we
> shouldn't let the distros install it at all.
>
> BTW: I'm using KMail4.  I don't use IMAP or any fancy encryption.
> So far no problems sending or receiving.  Yes, there are a bunch of buglets
> and nits. No crashes yet.

Except that IMAP in KMail4 is pretty broken. I'll probably work on fixing it
enough so that I can use it, but I wouldn't call it shippable.

TBH, I'd rather just leave it out rather than co-install it with the kde 3
version. If applications aren't ready to ship, then we shouldn't ship them.
The courageous can checkout from subversion and get it that way.
--
Matt