Release schedule clarifications

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 21:44:09 CEST 2007

On Monday 22 October 2007 21:15:43 Allen Winter wrote:

> > Applications (core applications): kdeaccessibility, kdeadmin, kdeartwork,
> > kdebase-apps, kdeedu, kdegames, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork,
> > kdepim, kdesdk, kdetoys, kdeutils
>
> And extragear (except extragear-plasma)?

Are there any extragear applications other than plasma which are part of the
4.0 release process? http://www.kde.org/info/3.94.php doesn't list any.

> > Definition of freeze states:
> >
> > Soft freeze: no new features, bufixes only, no new or changed message,
> > incomplete features are disabled
> > Hard freeze: as soft freeze plus: only patches which have been reviewed
> > on the relevant mailing lists
> > Deep freeze: only changes by release team
>
> The message freeze is happening in the Hard freeze this time around.

Ok, makes sense.

> > 24 October (Wed): KDE 4.0 Release Freeze
> > - Platform interface freeze (source and binary compatibility until KDE 5)
> > - Hard freeze Platform
> > - Soft freeze Workspace and Applications
> > - Message Freeze
> > - Deep freeze (changes only by release team) until release tarballs are
> > ready (estimated two days)
> > - Tag Platform 4.0.0 (Final release)
> > - Tag Workspace 3.95 and Applications 3.95 (RC1)
>
> So starting after midnight 24 Oct there will be a 2 day Deep Freeze.
> But after those 2 days the Plaform is in Hard Freeze and the Workspace+Apps
> are in Soft Freeze, right?

Yes.

> > 11 December (Tue):  Release KDE 4.0
>
> Do you mean KDE 4.0.2?

I mean the first release of the KDE 4.0 series. In terms of tarball and
package version numbers it would be 4.0.2, but I guess in marketing terms it
would be called 4.0.