Release schedule clarifications

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Mon Oct 22 21:15:43 CEST 2007

On Saturday 20 October 2007 10:12:37 pm Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I would like to propose a couple of clarifications to the release schedule.
> This is no change in plans, just putting down some more information than
> currently is on techbase. Please comment. If there are no objections I will
> update the pages on techbase. I would also like to reverse the order of
> milestones on the wiki pages, so that current milestones are on the top.
>
> Definition of KDE components:
>
> Platform (libraries and runtime dependencies): kdelibs, kdepimlibs,
> kdebase-runtime, kdebindings
Agree

> Workspace (desktop infrastructure, window manager, plasma): kdebase-workspace,
> extragear-plasma
Oh, I always forget to build extragear-plasma.
Agree.

> Applications (core applications): kdeaccessibility, kdeadmin, kdeartwork,
> kdebase-apps, kdeedu, kdegames, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork,
> kdepim, kdesdk, kdetoys, kdeutils
And extragear (except extragear-plasma)?

> Definition of freeze states:
>
> Soft freeze: no new features, bufixes only, no new or changed message,
> incomplete features are disabled
> Hard freeze: as soft freeze plus: only patches which have been reviewed on the
> relevant mailing lists
> Deep freeze: only changes by release team

The message freeze is happening in the Hard freeze this time around.
But after 24 Oct we should be in Deep freeze.

> Release schedule:
>
> (all deadlines are due 23:59 UTC)
>
> 24 October (Wed): KDE 4.0 Release Freeze
> - Platform interface freeze (source and binary compatibility until KDE 5)
> - Hard freeze Platform
> - Soft freeze Workspace and Applications
> - Message Freeze
> - Deep freeze (changes only by release team) until release tarballs are ready
> (estimated two days)
> - Tag Platform 4.0.0 (Final release)
> - Tag Workspace 3.95 and Applications 3.95 (RC1)
So starting after midnight 24 Oct there will be a 2 day Deep Freeze.
But after those 2 days the Plaform is in Hard Freeze and the Workspace+Apps are in Soft Freeze, right?

> 30 October (Tue): Release KDE Development Platform 4.0 and KDE Workspace and
> Applications 4.0 RC1
> - Announce release
> - Make tarballs available on download servers
>
> 14 November (Wed): Tagging RC2
> - Hard freeze Workspace and Applications
> - Workspace interface freeze (source and binary compatibility until KDE 5 (or
> better 4.1?))
> - Deep freeze until tarballs are ready
> - Tag Platform 4.0.1
> - Tag Workspace 3.96 and Applications 3.96 (RC2)
>
> 20 November (Tue): Release KDE Development Platform 4.0.1 and KDE Workspace
> and Applications 4.0 RC2
> - Announce release
> - Make tarballs available on download servers
>
> 5  December (Wed): Tagging RC3 (final)
> - decide if RC4 is needed, if it is, add another RC to the cycle, if not
> proceed with the following:
> - Create 4.0 branch
> - Hard freeze on the 4.0 branch
> - Deep freeze on the branch until release tarballs are ready
> - Tag Platform 4.0.2
> - Tag Workspace 4.0.2 and Applications 4.0.2 (RC3)
> - Trunk is unfrozen and open for 4.1 development
>
> 11 December (Tue):  Release KDE 4.0
Do you mean KDE 4.0.2?