"Total Freeze" Delay

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Fri Oct 19 11:36:10 CEST 2007

On Friday 19 October 2007 01:35, Allen Winter wrote:

> Dirk thinks we need to move the Total Freeze day, currently scheduled for
> Friday 19 Oct (tomorrow), forward a couple days to give us more time to
> work over the weekend.   I agree.

Yes, that makes sense.

> Of course, this means we will need to move the big tagging day forward as
> well.
>
> So I propose these new dates:
> October 24, 2007: Total Release Freeze
> October 31, 2007: Tagging Release Candidate 1, Tagging KDE Development
> Platform

It's not clear to me what total release freeze actually means and why the
tagging is a week later. Maybe we can come up with a more detailed definition
than what's on techbase. Does it include a message freeze? What exactly are
the rules for changes for the different modules? Which modules does it
include? etc.

For the tagging I guess we need a special deep freeze phase, so that we can
tune the tagged version until it compiles and is releasable without
interference by work unrelated to the particular release. I guess one or two
days are enough for that.

So why don't we tag RC1 on October 24, do one or two days (or how long it ever
takes) of deep freeze until the RC1 is done and then continue with the work
towards the next RC?