PROPOSAL: Moving the KDEPIM Enterprise Branch into the 3.5 Branch

David Faure dfaure at kdab.net
Thu Oct 11 01:08:54 CEST 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> Does it make sense/Is it plausible to effectively eliminate
> the enterprise/kdepim branch by moving it into branches/KDE/3.5?

Are we sure that 3.5 has no fixes that didn't go into enterprise?
AFAIK my colleagues have set up svnmerge and kept an eye on changes,
but still it might be a good idea to make sure we're not overwriting a bugfix.

> So my proposal is:
> % svn mv branches/KDE/3.5/kdepim branches/kdepim-crappy
> % svn mv branches/kdepim/enterprise/kdepim branches/KDE/3.5/kdepim
I think this would break all existing checkouts (including those on all the kde servers like anonsvn and mirrors, lxr, websvn, etc.)
The (automated) svn update will barf with "cannot replace directory from within" or something like that.
The alternative is to merge the diff between the two branches into 3.5, I suppose.
This won't provide the history of those changes, but well, I guess the reverse is true as well,
replacing 3.5 with enterprise using svn mv means we replace the 3.5 history with the enterprise
history (which might not have as much details when it comes to the hacking that happened in the 3.5 branch
and was merely merged into enterprise)...

I support the idea of course, I'm just wondering about those small details.
Another "small detail" would be: checking with the translators that they are OK with all
those new strings appearing in the 3.5 branch - so close to the release.

David Faure, faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KDE/KOffice developer, Qt consultancy projects