KDE 3.5.8

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 10:32:02 CEST 2007

On Monday 01 October 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Montag 01 Oktober 2007 schrieb Andras Mantia:
> > On Monday 01 October 2007, Tom Albers wrote:
> > > I don't want want to flame as you request, but could you consider
> > > moving kdevelop to extragear-sdk? In that case you can determine
> > > for each release if you want to be part of it. We will just tag
> > > what is in there at that moment so you can swap around whatever
> > > you see fit.
> >
> > There is no need to move it anywhere, it just about deciding if
> > KDevelop should or not be released together with a certain version
> > of KDE. If the KDevelop developers tell in *advance* that we added
> > new string, features, please don't include the current kdevelop
> > module in KDE 3.5.8, I don't think anybody will complain. The same
> > the other way around, if they say that the only changes compared to
> > the last released version are bugfixes, it can be included in the
> > upcoming KDE pack.
>
> No. There _is_ a problem. And that is that KDE module's translations
> are packaged in kde-i18n. So you can't simply translate kdevelop 7.0
> in KDE 3.5's kde-i18n and then expect a working 3.5.8 to be released

So this would mean a need in scripty script each time a module (be it
kdevelop, koffice or whatever) is packaged together or separately?
Can't the kde-i18n packages be created per module?
So let's say KDE 4.0 has kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase and kdegames.
There will be kde-i18n-kdelibs, kde-i18n-kdepimlibs and so on.
If KDE 4.1 has one more module, the corresponding kde-i18n-* is also
released. If a module is not released together with 4.2, the i18n
module for that is not released.
And to avoid chaos: those module maintainers whose modules will be
added/removed from the next release should inform (and ask permission)
the release team and translation teams well in advance.

If this was discussed on kde-i18n list, I just shut up now. :)

Andras