String freeze ask

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Nov 20 23:48:53 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 November 2007 03:33:23 Burkhard Lück wrote:

> > > Johann,
> > >
> > > We haven't gone into message freeze for docbooks yet.
> > > So no problem at all.
> > > Commit!
> >
> > Oh dear.
> >
> > Can we please clarify a solid message freeze date for the documentations?
> > Translating needs its times (translation, review, testing), and allowing
> > changes up to the day before the translations freezes will not help us
> > translators providing complete translations for the application manuals.
> >
> Translating outdated/buggy documentation doesn't help us either.
>
> $ python checkdocbook.py -s /home/kdedev/svn/l10n-kde4/documentation
>
> No of documentations                             = 285
> No of documentations with errors      213 of 285 = 75 %
> No of documentations without errors    64 of 285 = 22 %
> 13750 guiitems found at 26725 locations in 818 docbook(s)
> guiitems in docbooks found in 583 messages catalogues:     7452 of 13750 =
> 54 %
> guiitems in docbooks NOT found in 583 messages catalogues: 6298 of 13750 =
> 46 %
>
> That is just a simple check for all gui related stuff.
>
> The KDEgames Docteam did a great job with a complete rewrite of all docs in
> the last two weeks, but after proofreading them the last day I have again >13
> updated/fixed docbooks with about 500 changed lines here.
>
> I have seen only few commits for docs in the other modules the last month's,
> therefore I am sure most of these docs are much more outdated or incorrect
> than the games docs.
>
> We need something like a regular doc unfreeze (i.e. a week every month) to fix
> all the outdated/buggy documentation and their translations.

We can have doc unfreeze whenever you (the translators) want one.
Just ask.

> Some other broken things regarding doctranslation:
> autogen.sh:
autogen.sh??

> faq, glossary, quickstart, userguide, visualdict are installed in wrong dir
> and are therefore not visible in khelcenter
those docs are installed in $KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/khelpcenter.
what is the correct install location?  I can easily fix once I know
where they should be installed.

> language/common dir and the links in it are not installed
$KDEDIR/share/doc/HTML/en/common exists
so what symlinks do we need to create. please tell me what to do here.

> An untranslatable message (footer "Would you like ...") on every doc page
I remember we discussed this before but didn't find an easy solution.

> wrong build system (automake/autoconf) mentioned in install-compile.docbook
I see automake and autoconf mentioned in faq/contrib.docbook too.
Maybe someone can fix these documents to simply say "read TechBase"?

> It is not possible to generate language docbooks in a pure kde4 environment
> (no po2xml in kde4), you have to use po2xml from kde3

didn't Tom Albers fix this recently?

-Allen