beta5 or rc1

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Mon Nov 12 08:25:18 CET 2007

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> of course, our show stoppers themselves are somewhat funny (as in "they
> smell funny ... ") since last time i looked we did no have anything about
> the keyboard shortcuts control panel not working at all (though this has
> had the side effect of getting me used to the kde defaults again ;) while
> we do have some pretty minor showstoppers.

Well, last time I checked the default style didn't support QToolBox yet. This
basically rendered Marble unusable as people are not able to make use of the
interface.

> i'm dangerously close to having resizable and movable panels. they'll be
> done this week. multiple panels are there, xrandr works, xinerama works.
> taskbar and systray both need bugfixes; i wont get to working on those
> until next week, however. (i figure i only need 2 days to get the panel
> stuff done, which means it'll take a week ;).

So do I understand it correctly that you think that Plasma will have sorted
out all remaining issues that are left for an RC1 only until next wednesday?
Sounds good to me.

> > involved with the last few showstoppers when those showstoppers will be
> > fixed. Based on that we should decide how to proceed. I remember that
> > this was done for earlier releases. It helped to make people commit
> > themselves to get the release out of the door soon while at the same time
> > making sure that we'd adhere to our quality standards.
> this makes more sense to me: a ballance between "well, let's just slip the
> date without putting any pressure on our work schedule" and "let's stick to
> the schedule regardless of what we've accomplished".

Balance is always good. But it needs to be based on criteria. The only balance
I see is that we go through the showstopper list and see whether there are
any "made-up" showstoppers left that could easily be removed by disabling
related functionality. E.g. for the keyboard shortcuts e.g. I could easily
imagine that we disable the related dialog completely (so no luxury of
changing shortcuts, bad luck). On the other hand the QToolBox issue I
mentioned is certainly something that is a showstopper for sure that can't
get removed.

> we should really strive to make a december release if at all possible (for
> so many reasons which we've gone over so many times now), and that may well
> mean a big final push.

I'd love to see a release being tagged right before christmas. But I'd hate to
receive a release from Santa where you get the feel that the QA Santa dwarves
were on Christmas holidays already concerning the most basic
functionality. :-)

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz