General Application Cleanup

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Mon May 28 18:44:03 CEST 2007

Hi

I have made a initial list for kdenetwork. (Sorry for beeing so late, I have
totally forgotten about this thread...)

Candidates for removal:

KDict:
* not maintained for the last (probably 6) years
* small userbase: relatively few bugreports, even if the app is not in the
best shape.
* not working at all in kde4: action and networkstuff need almost a full
rewrite
=> remove

KWifiManager (wifi):
* last maintainer (Stefan Winter) supports the removal
* no support for WPA; Solid supports it -> networkmanager will / does provide
everthing that has been provided by KWifiManager
=> remove

KPF:
* not maintained for the last years
* not working in trunk (not even ported; disabled from build)
* small userbase: relatively few bugreports, even if the app is not in the
best shape.
=> remove

KNewsTicker:
* should be replaced by a Plasma based solution; but Plasma is not ready atm.
* see "Worried about knewsticker" thread on k-d
* not working the last time i tested it
* bigger userbase: a lot of open issues on b.k.o
=> keep it at the moment; probably remove it later when there is a good Plasma
alternative

If there are no hard objections, I will remove the marked applications in one
week.

Bye
urs