[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 23:02:23 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 4:34:47 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 6, 2007, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > >
> > > Could you elaborate what's unrealistic about that? What exactly would
> > > be done in the extra two months?
> >
> > I have this feeling just by looking at the threads on core-devel:
> > knetwork, KStringDataListModel, strigi, kuiserver or knewstuff2. I may
> > be wrong and the issues discussed there could be solved in a month,
> > unfortunately I couldn't read everything in detail.
>
> some of these things can be added in 4.1; for example: we can even ship
> knewstuff as deprecated, with the replacement slated for 4.1.
>
> on the other other hand, without such a date people will just continue to
> tinker and twiddle. and yes, it gives me the heebie jeebies to commit to a
> date that near, too, but that will never change. ;)
>
> and that's the important thing to remember: we could write software for the
> next 5 years without a release for one reason or another. it's time to
> release: early and often.
>
> someone said that kde isn't a corporate project, and they are right. it is
> completely ok for us to release a 4.0 that has libs and most apps with lots
> of improvements to come in 4.1.
>
> 3.5.x is perfect for stable deployments for now; we need to get 4.0 out there
> so it can be as well, sooner rather than later. keeping it unreleased will
> only delay that.

I'm OK with toma's original roadmap.

There won't be a fully functional akonadi.  There may not be a working kmail4.0
or a korganizer4.0, but even an extra 6-12months won't help the manpower issues
in kdepim.

I will announce on the kde-pim ML that have less than 4 weeks to get
kdepimlibs and akonadi in much better shape.

-Allen