[RFC] Draft Roadmap for KDE 4.0

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 6 22:34:47 CET 2007

On March 6, 2007, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 March 2007 19:26, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > But actually I find the "one month from now freeze of KDE api" a
> > > little bit unrealistic. I'd say 3 months might be better to start
> > > the freeze cycle.
> >
> > Could you elaborate what's unrealistic about that? What exactly would
> > be done in the extra two months?
>
> I have this feeling just by looking at the threads on core-devel:
> knetwork, KStringDataListModel, strigi, kuiserver or knewstuff2. I may
> be wrong and the issues discussed there could be solved in a month,
> unfortunately I couldn't read everything in detail.

some of these things can be added in 4.1; for example: we can even ship
knewstuff as deprecated, with the replacement slated for 4.1.

on the other other hand, without such a date people will just continue to
tinker and twiddle. and yes, it gives me the heebie jeebies to commit to a
date that near, too, but that will never change. ;)

and that's the important thing to remember: we could write software for the
next 5 years without a release for one reason or another. it's time to
release: early and often.

someone said that kde isn't a corporate project, and they are right. it is
completely ok for us to release a 4.0 that has libs and most apps with lots
of improvements to come in 4.1.

3.5.x is perfect for stable deployments for now; we need to get 4.0 out there
so it can be as well, sooner rather than later. keeping it unreleased will
only delay that.

other projects to look at: samba with the 3 vs 4 split; ruby with their new
engine; linux at the 2.4.0 release.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se