General Application Cleanup

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Tue Jun 5 14:49:24 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday, 28. May 2007, Urs Wolfer wrote:
> > I have made a initial list for kdenetwork. (Sorry for beeing so late, I
> > have totally forgotten about this thread...)
>
> Thanks for making this list. I'm wondering. will this list of removal
> candidates be announced somewhere, just to see if a maintainer would step
> up for them? (Sometimes it is a problem of new people not liking to touch
> other peoples code if they don't know that it is unmaintained).

The list of the removed apps can be public:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.0_Module_Status
I have just updated this list with the kdenetwork changes.

> > KDict:
> > * not maintained for the last (probably 6) years
> > * small userbase: relatively few bugreports, even if the app is not in
> > the best shape.
> >
> >From feedback I know that there is a good userbase for a dictionary
> > lookup.
>
> Some people prefer ksteak, some kdict. both are somehow broken, but it
> probably wouldn't be a lot of work for somebody to fix it and make it
> usable again.

As aseigo wrote: Such a client could be easily rewritten. IHMO the KDict
codebase is very outdated and ugly. A clean rewrite would be needed.

Bye
urs