Are We Ready? Beta1 vs. Alpha3

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Sat Jul 21 22:53:57 CEST 2007

Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 21 July 2007 2:51:51 pm Rex Dieter wrote:
>> <don=fedora-kde-packager-hat>
>> This would pretty much screw us trying to ship kde4 (as the default kde
>> desktop) for fedora 8 (which *is*, err maybe *was* the plan).
>> </don
> If I were one of your customers (and I am), I would be very wary
> of using KDE 4.0.x.   KDE 4.1.2 sounds about right.

Ouch.  Seriously, this coming from someone on the kde release-team
speaks volumes.  Something is seriously broken here.  methodologies?
expectations?

OK, I think I'm starting to see... (thinking out loud) there's a
difference between kde 4 the development platform and kde 4 the
desktop.  At this point, looks like the former is getting the most
attention (from the release-team's perspective anyway).

Am I getting warm?

If so, would there be any merit or consideration to position kde 4.0
like that, only (or primarily) as a development platform?
How far to take it?  Release only some parts/modules as part of the kde
4.0?  The rest could come later as part of the kde4 "desktop", and
kde-promo's ideas around release parties, etc..

-- Rex