Are We Ready? Beta1 vs. Alpha3

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Jul 22 09:55:10 CEST 2007

I have been lurking for some time, I just want to comment on the
release-based schedule thing which is a way of developing I'm a huge fan
of.

On Saturday 21 July 2007 2:51:51 pm Rex Dieter wrote:
> > For anyone who missed Mark Shuttleworth's akademy talk... he stressed
> > the absolute importance of regular, reliable release cycles.  Not
> > sticking to release schedules sucks.

And I fully agree with just about all he said on that topic. One thing of
importance is that he immediately conceded that KDE4 is a different beast
altogether and this idea doesn't work for 4.0

This is the core point;
> > Don't hold releases hostage for
> > features.

Again, fully agreed.   But this is not about features; KDE4.0 is (still)
about heavy refactoring and reinstating basic functionality before being
able to release (a beta).

The reason why the concept that Mark proposed can work is that you can
just remove or not release a feature which is not ready. And thus avoid a
schedule slip because that feature needs more work.

But, unfortunately, we can't just leave out kcontrol or plasma because its
not ready. So the release schedule must slip.

I'd love to see the idea of timed releases based on
optional-feature-inclusion in the future. But unfortunately Fedora will
have to wait until "its ready" on this one.

Cheers!
--
Thomas Zander