Feature Freeze

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 23:40:31 CEST 2007

Le vendredi 13 juillet 2007, Jason Harris a écrit :
> I think we should err on the side of less features and more stability
> for 4.0, so we need to leave plenty of time for bugfixing and polishing.
>   Planned features can always be added further on the 4.x series.
>
> I wouldn't want to push it much further than 25 Aug, but I'm interested
> to see what other people think.

Actually, that raises an interesting issue, we never prioritized our
features... and we probably should. For instance, missing a small feature in
okular is probably ok, but not having panels support in plasma is definitely
a showstopper.

(I'm taking okular and plasma because they looked obvious when I was writing,
but one could do the same with dolphin, etc.)

So, the real question is more: Is the 25 Jul realistic for the critical
features?

I'm looking more at the basic desktop features, and honestly I'd say no...
Just on my plate, the storage management is not done, it's in progress
(dolphin having the necessary stuff, user notification on plug missing, etc.)
but won't be completed for the 25 Jul. Just for those basic features 25 Aug
looks more realistic. I guess other areas in kdebase are in the same
situation.

I'd like to have the crypto volume support in 4.0 too, since it's a long time
open issue in our bugzilla and necessary for a modern desktop, but I can
probably live without it until 4.1 if I can't make it for the 25 Aug.

Once again, it's about prioritizing which we never did AFAIK... and we should
probably start to do it now.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."