What to do about Kompare?

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Wed Dec 12 21:46:18 CET 2007

Op Wednesday 12 December 2007 01:31 schreef u:
> release-team-request at kde.org wrote:
>
>  >I'm with Matt here, as much as i'd love a kompare on KDE 4.0 we began
>  >removing
>  >unmaintained games and not allowing new ones in kdegames quite a time
>  >ago,
>  >actually when the schedule said so, so if we had applied the the same
>  >rule to
>  >kdesdk, kompare would have been out of KDE 4.0 already months ago.
>
> Just to give some context to this, we actually had a deadline for
> removing unmaintained and unported games in July 2007, according to the
> initial schedule. And we stick with it, naively :) After that date,
> nothing as well moved from playground to the module, including games
> that are mostly done, and we ended up removing more apps in the last
> couple of months as their state was not great. The effect was that the
> games module lost some of its momentum, due to our willingness to play
> by the release schedules. Looking back it was maybe a stupid idea, and
> we should have continued working on the playground ones, moved them to
> the module after the deadline, and we would had a tetris and a breakout
> game for 4.0.
> Suggestion: for 4.1, I think we should really try to follow the
> schedules we propose to ourselves. Or break the rules when needed, in a
> global way for all modules. I understand that not adding Kompare for 4.0
> can have an effect on the motivation of the new maintainer, but I can
> also guarantee you that allowing it to go in (a done deal) also has an
> impact on some of the members of the games module that will not have
> their apps in 4.0 because they missed the July cut, and stick by the
> schedule.

Right. I'm pretty sensitive for the arguments in this mail. I'm changing my mind and think we should exclude kompare. It's simply not fair towards other app maintainers.

In the meanwhile i can make tarballs at each release if we move it to extragear for now.

I think we might want to bump pretty quickly to a 4.1 release and that's when we can enable it again (and move some games and kaider and maybe the ssl tree).

> To finish, I also think we really need to get this 4.0 thing out, as we
> are stressing about smaller things almost daily :)

True ;-)

Toma