KDE/kdelibs

Hamish Rodda rodda at kde.org
Wed Dec 5 03:38:50 CET 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 05:38:07 am Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Monday 03 December 2007, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > Replace KAction::associateWidget() with a set of methods to permanently
> > associate / dissociate a widget with an action collection.  This does not
> > change the shortcut context, in contrast to the methods that I removed
> > about a month ago; this approach was thought to be ok (in comparison to
> > the one I removed) because it does not cause modification of the actions
> > being added to the collection.
> >
> > Also, add all xmlgui client actions to the top level main window.
> >
> > These two changes fix bug 151421 and duplicates / related bugs.
> >
> > It is BIC as I have removed the old associateWidget(), for which I will
> > commit patches to the rest of KDE which use it now.
>
> even worse, it is source incompatible. Did you notice that we have released
> a stable platform that is now broken again?

I'm sorry.  I guess I figured because we were breaking binary compatibility
that it was ok, but I see now that I was mistaken.

> can the associateWidget() call be restored?

I see David Faure has already done so, and I am happy with his patch.  It is
not behaviour compatible, but I think this way is better so we don't get the
same problem which caused me to have to patch this class twice late in the
release cycle due to other developers' concerns.

Cheers,
Hamish.