KDE 4.0 Beta2 preliminary tarballs available for testing

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Aug 30 02:14:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've just finished uploading the first round of Beta2 tarballs at the usual
place. Highlights:

a) no kdetoys. it wouldn't be useful anyway, as it contains only kicker
applets. Plus, it doesn't build (yet)

b) kdebase is split into a -workspace part and the rest. for X11, you have to
compile kdelibs/kdepimlibs/kdebase-workspace/kdebase/rest, for other
platforms you have to do the same, except leave out kdebase-workspace

c) I have no trust that stuff is compiling. Note the tarballs are different
from SVN and slightly different from the SVN tag, so you really want to test
the tarballs. SVN was broken all day at different places for different
reasons. I repeat: please test the tarballs, do not generate snapshots from
SVN.

d) I have little confidence that the result is usable. I'll test the first
round of binary packages tomorrow.

e) the xdeltas are probably broken.

f) l10n tarballs are still being regenerated. I had to restart them at least 4
times because of various stupid bugs, and it takes over 6 hours to generate
them. I hope I have something tomorrow (ehh, later today).

Things are in really bad shape right now. I'm not sure what to do to improve.
Please give feedback.

Thanks,
Dirk