applications frozen?

Jason Harris kstars at 30doradus.org
Thu Aug 9 23:19:50 CEST 2007

Hello,

On Thursday 09 August 2007 14:08, Allen Winter wrote:
> According to the milestones, we should be now frozen for
> the public API, for application features, and for new i18n strings.
>
> According to the milestones, we should be only bug-fixing at this stage
> (of course we have the exempted stuff, like Plasma).  We are 2.5 months
> away from the scheduled 4.0.0 release.
>
> OK, so we didn't stick to our original milestones.  Not surprising.
>
> Let's figure out how to proceed from here.
>
> Proposals?

I think we should be mostly concentrating on bugfixing, especially if we want
to make the October date.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if the freeze
caught many app devs by surprise.  I had suggested in the previous thread
that we have a "soft" freeze until beta2.  i.e., apps are frozen, but devs
can appeal to the module release coordinator or the module mailing list for
exceptions on a case-by-case basis.

In kstars, we've been developing a big architectural change in a branch for
months that we are nearly ready to merge into trunk.  This is going to give a
roughly factor of two improvement in speed, and we'd really like to have it
for 4.0.0.

regards,
Jason