[rekonq] Rekonq Settings

Anton Kreuzkamp akreuzkamp at web.de
Sat Mar 24 18:58:45 UTC 2012

> On 03/22/2012 10:04 PM, Anton Kreuzkamp wrote:
> > I'd like to put in my two cents here. Yes, many "established standard
> > practices" seem very frumpy and I'm also rather the kind of person that
> > likes
> > to approach things in new ways. But consistency and well defined "standard
> > practises" are equally important to me.
> > That means two things:
> > 1. We need standards. Rather than simply doing something the way we want,
> > we
> > should discuss in a more global context (kde-wide) about the approaches
> > and
> > workflows. (Which doesn't mean we can't be the first ones to use them)
>
> Ehi, we are debating here and we are not just rekonq devs. Do you mean
> you'll prefer a k-c-d post?
That would mean a k-c-d post, yes. But more interestingly, it means we have to
talk about applications in general and not just about rekonq.
I think it would be the best to discuss here first and expand it to k-c-d as
soon as we have a concept.

> > 2. We need to use approaches every application can use. The menu-button is
> > something everyone can do  (see menu-button in windeco). The idea of
> > putting
> > settings into the browser window is something a browser can do, but noone
> > else. So this WILL break consistency, instead of highlighting a new way
> > forward.
>
> I don't think so and in the following example you showed exactly this.
> In general IMHO dialogs are considered old-style way to show up things.
> Every app is doing this, not just KDE: i.e. the only browser having yet
> a dialog to ask you if you wanna save your password or not is IE.
> Everything is going to be integrated in the main view. And every app has
> one, not just browsers.
As html-webpage, inside the Webview can only be (reasonably) done by a
browser. In some other way (QWidget-based or QML-based) other applications can
integrate things into the main-view, too, yes. That's why I sent the link to
the calligra-idea (see below), which is a case where other apps do exactly
that.
I can imagine it to be quite nice to have e.g. settings integrated into the
main-view. But the goal should imho be something every application can use and
then we should use the same techniques like used by other applications (which
would be something QWidget or QML based).