[rekonq] Rekonq Settings

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:57:46 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 12:32 PM, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> The about:config for special tweaking is something that I always
> liked, but integrating normal settings into normal browser tab was
> always irritating for me.
>
> In Chrome and Firefox*, it was done as a part of 'all you need is the
> browser' approach for chrome os / firefox os. That is, if we have only
> the browser, we need no window manager, thus we need to manage windows
> ->  lets put stuff into tabs.
>
> If you plan to aim for touch-based devices, the QWidget dialog will
> never fit into the rest QML-based stuff.
>
> ----
> On a side-note, more global problem than with rekonq alone:
>
> In Plasma Active, we have the problem that some people like the
> no-apply-cancel dialogs (so, the web browser and time settings are
> done like that), and that those can not work in all cases (activity
> settings, encryption need the apply-cancel). Thus we had to break
> consistency. And it is like that in other touch-based systems - some
> things have the apply and others don't. And that really sucks.
>

> * not for settings yet, but for extensions...

Ok, it really seems we are mixing too much things together. Let's sort
out things.

1. Adding a "Privacy" and an "Advanced" tab to settings.
I hope all you'll like this. If not, please explain me why.

2. Moving settings from the Settings Dialog to a "rekonq:settings" link,
adding them to a tab. I like this possible solution.

3. Removing ok-apply-cancel buttons, letting all changes apply
on-the-fly. I have no clear idea here if need this or not.
In general this is related to point 2, in the sense that having point 2
is a necessary but not sufficient condition for point 3.

 From my side, I'll continue working to implement point 1 and wait for a
common decision about points 2 and 3.

Regards,
Andrea.