[rekonq] Rekonq Settings

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:18:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> working on the next rekonq 0.10 and following users requests (see i.e.
> bug:259192), I'm prototyping some news for rekonq settings: a privacy and an
> advanced tab. See screenshots, easier to explain :)
> While working on them, I was thinking on... isn't it time to move settings
> to an "about:settings" window in the same way chrom* does, letting users to
> change them on the fly (which means,  NO MORE ok-apply-cancel buttons)?
> What do you think about?

I am concerned that rekonq seems to get further and further away from
established standard practices in KDE.  One of the things I like about
KDE is that applications are very consistent in their behavior.  I
know pretty much what to expect when I try to do something ordinary
with an application, and I know pretty much where to look to find
something.  The way settings applications work, for instance, is very
consistent across all of KDE.

I can see the benefit from having a touch-oriented settings
application, but I am not sure it worth breaking consistency with the
rest of KDE on the desktop.  In some cases there are clear benefits to
breaking consistency, like the menu button, but I don't see that being
the case here.

-Todd