[rekonq] Rekonq Settings

Marc Deop damnshock at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:13:36 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 21 March 2012 03:12:44 David Narvaez wrote:
> > On Tuesday 20 March 2012 11:26:18 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
>
> >> While working on them, I was thinking on... isn't it time to move
> >> settings to an "about:settings" window in the same way chrom* does,
> >> letting users to change them on the fly (which means,  NO MORE
> >> ok-apply-cancel buttons)?
> >> What do you think about?
>

> > I honestly do not like that aproach. To me seems like having an obscure, hidden an non intuitive way to get to the settings of the application.
>
> Do you mean obscure because a user must type about:settings to get to
> the settings?

Yes, I do mean that. I could understand that for a strange configuration option but not for a thing like setting the proxy. I mean, it looks ok for advanced users but not for the average "Joe". How is he supposed to know that he has to type "about:settings" to get into the config?

> > If our concern is to avoid having to click on "Apply" or "Ok" we could find a way to automatically apply any change done in the settings window.
>
> I may be a bit too old school but, when using auto-applied config
> dialogs, I never really trust the dialog so I end up thinking "this is
> not working because it didn't apply the settings". We should state
> very clearly that the settings are auto applied so that people like me
> can build up trust  plus you don't want mobile users to go scrolling
> around searching for an Ok button.

That sounds reasonable

Regards,

Marc Deop