[rekonq] Fwd: Dolphin and Rekonq: common icon for "Tools" menu

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:10:54 CEST 2011

What do you guys think about?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Dolphin and Rekonq: common icon for "Tools" menu
Date: 	Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:18:38 +0200
From: 	Peter Penz <peter.penz19 at gmail.com>
To: 	adjam7 at gmail.com

Hi Andrea,

I'm the maintainer of Dolphin and plan to get rid of the menu bar per default in Dolphin for KDE SC 4.7 (see http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2011/03/menu-bars.html for details). There has been a follow-up blog from Martin Gräßlin at http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2011/03/menu-button-inside-window-decorations/ that would be a very nice approach similar like Firefox 4 has it.

However after a discussion with Martin it turned out that we need to wait until 4.8 to make this possible in a clean way.

So for 4.7 I'll stick to the approach to show a sub-menu at the right of the toolbar similar like Rekonq does it. At least judging from the feedback of my blog-entry people don't like the KIcon("configure") as icon for the menu ;-)

I've taken the same icon as in Rekonq for consistency and because Chrome uses the same icon too. The internet explorer uses a kind of "gear" for this menu and to me the gear looks quite nice in combination with Dolphin (see attachment - I used KIcon("applications-system")).

I wanted to ask you about your opinion - for me it is important to stay consistent with Rekonq, so I won't change the icon in Dolphin if it will not be changed in Rekonq too. Personally I'd prefer the "applications-system" icon over the "configure" icon as there are several actions in the menu that are unrelated to configuration.

But I'd like to leave it up to you for a final word :-)

Slightly related: Do you think the approach from Martin would be an option for Rekonq for KDE SC 4.8?

Thanks,
Peter