[rekonq] GSOC Idea for Tab Grouping in Rekonq

Tirtha Chatterjee tirtha.p.chatterjee at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 21:44:18 CET 2011

Tabbed browsing, when it was introduced, offered huge breakthroughs in
browsing comfort. But there has been little changes in the way tabs
have been dealt with ever since. This has given rise to two important
use cases-

1. Many people use tabs as temporary bookmarks to mark whatever they
want to surf or check out later. They just open it up in a new tab.
For example, I find a good link or tutorial, and I open up a new tab,
so that I can look at it when I have the time. This has given rise to
many many unorganised tabs waiting to be viewed. They clutter up the
tab strip and make tabbed browsing a harder task.

2. Many users have this specific style of browsing - I look for xyz in
Google, then open up 4-5 relevant entries in new tabs. I open up links
in these tabs further in new tabs. This increases the number of tabs.
Many users today have an average tab count of over 20.

Rekonq currently has "< >" buttons at the end of the tab strip to
browse through tabs. But there is no way of organising or grouping
those tabs under groups, so that they can be expanded and collapsed at
will. This addition will add a logical and more intuitive way of
browsing through tabs. Firefox 4 has introduced the Panorama view to
group tabs. Opera has also made it possible to group tabs in clusters
which can be collapsed, allowing for smooth browsing. I wish to
implement this feature in Rekonq as a GSOC project this summer. I
would like to have somebody mentor me on this project.

Any kind of reviews / suggestions are welcome.

--
Tirtha Chatterjee
National Institue of Technology, Durgapur