[rekonq] Re: Keeping the bug tracker in sync

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 00:45:53 CET 2011

On Thursday 20 January 2011 18:46:45 Felix Rohrbach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today, I got the following answer to a bug report on bugs.kde.org:
> "Thanks for your answers, it was something missing in rekonq development
> (dialog between users and devs), and that really broke my motivation to
> report bugs/features request :/"
>
> I may have a wrong impression about that as I just joined this project, but
> I feel like this is true. We care about bug reports, we try to fix them
> and we discuss about them, but the reporter sees nothing of that.
> Sometimes I feel like we are hiding the development from the bug tracker.
> So I'd like us to keep the bug tracker in sync with our development:

I'm here from the beginning and I really can say this is NOT true. Yes, maybe
some reports are not discussed a lot or lived in the bug tracker until next
bugfixing period (that is going to be in 10 days).
I can also say that a lot of the people here started contributing opening a
bug report.
Obvious, if you think we are here ready to implement all your wishes for
you...

> 1. If it's something that will take some time to fix, but we can reproduce
> the bug and we think it's important, it would be nice to say that we are
> working on it. We could use the flags UNCONFIRMED, NEW and ASSIGNED TO for
> that, too.
>
> 2. If there are any problems while fixing the bug and you stop working on
> it (e.g. some webkit dependencies or design problems), name them in the
> report. The reporter may not understand them, but he sees that there is
> some work, and other developers looking at the bug don't have to discover
> the problems, too.

These are good ideas.

> 3. If you don't want to implement some idea, or if you want to have it
> another way, please write that, too. The user does not need to wait any
> longer, he may give some reasons why this feature is needed, but even more
> important: Developers searching the bug tracker for things to work on
> won't spam review board with patches you don't want to merge. If you deny
> the request then, you have two angry guys: The reporter and the patch
> creator ;-)

I don't think this is the right way to think about. Bugzilla is not the center
of our development and we don't implement things just because someone asked
it.
rekonq project started to create a lightweight browser with an easy and clean
design. Period. We are not cloning konqueror or firefox.
Just following people hints, you are going to implement feature A and the
ability to let feature A optional and redesign feature A to follow firefox
implementation and the option to change it to behave as chrome.
And obviously you are going to reimplement ALL konqueror features.
So please, when you are going to implement something that is not for your
pleasure, ask in mailing list, before. That's the place.

> What do you guys think about this? I would volunteer to keep the bug
> tracker up to date (like after a mailing list/IRC discussion), but there
> are things everyone has to do (like reporting about problems while
> fixing), so I need your support for that.

That's good!
You may probably need admin bits for that.

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org