[rekonq] quit vs. close

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 16:59:27 UTC 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011 20:31:18 Felix Rohrbach wrote:

> I'm not quite sure about that question. When Thomas told me that the other
> KDE applications behave the way that quit == close window, I didn't know
> that the other browsers behave in another way. One the one hand, we want to
> integrate ourselves into KDE, on the other hand we want to make
> browser-change easy, as for most users rekonq is not the first browser they
> use. Currently, I'm again a bit more for the quit == quit app. The reasons:
>
> 1. In a standard rekonq configuration, there is no UI way to quit rekonq.
> The only way is to use Ctrl + Q. As shortcuts are mostly used by
> experienced users, we can assume that the user used Firefox/Chromium/...
> before and therefore knows the difference between closing a window and
> quitting an application.
>
> 2. There is a difference between close and quit in other KDE applications,
> too. For example, all the applications that use system tray icons minimize
> to that system tray when closed, but on quit also the system tray is
> "closed". If you quit an application, you expect it to quit everything,
> close all connections, save the configs, remove temporary data, so that you
> have a clean start when you start the application again. As example, for
> rekonq you expect your session cookies to be deleted. In my opinion, quit
> is more than close.
>
> So I am a bit more in favour of the quit == quit application principle,
> hoping that users who don't know the difference between close and quit
> won't search for a quit shortcut ;)

Yes.
There are other two points in favour of this approach:

3. The "Quit" action is described explicitely as the action that "quit the
application".

4. There is no real data loss because when more than one window is open, there
was the dialog asking you about the thing to do.

Another thing I "detected" from the discussion was the "strange" behavior
regarding the "close last tab" implementation. I read ml archives about [1]
and I found Lionel, Pano, Lindsay and me debating about.
What has been decided there can be easily reverted in favor of a simpler
approach, so proposal is:

a. restore last week master behavior (quit = quit app)
b. let close action close "also" the last tab.

Maybe b) can be configurable. What do you guys think?

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org