[rekonq] quit vs. close

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:20:55 UTC 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011 11:14:36 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2011 10.35.37 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> > > So, in short, it doesn't make sense to me, and from experience I
> > > know
> > > that it doesn't make sense to a lot more people
> >
> > It seems to me you are suffering the same problem you see in my
> > workflow.
> > In  fact I sincerely trust that the quit = close window habit comes from
> > the multitasking design of konqueror.Let's expose the problem in this
> > terms: if we add the quit action at the
> > end  of the rekonq menu (in the same way Firefox or Chromium do) the
> > quit
> > action now will close one window, while in Firefox and Chrom*, the same
> > will close the whole app.
>
> Thats why I wrote this at the end of my last email ;)
>
> > > Being consistent and predictable is important for user satisfaction.
> > > If
> > > you can't be consistent with everyone else, make sure you go with
> > > the
> > > 'safe' ones so losing work is cut to a minumum.
>
> reusing the behavior of firefox and chromium looses more user-data than
> reusing the behavior of other KDE apps.
>
> Also, firefox and chromium were designed for Windows first, where both
> virtual desktops and activities are not present.  The concept of running
> remote X applications is even unique to Linux.
>
> > And I'm quite sure this make sense to a lot of more
> > people of the ones used
> > to  dolphin/konqueror behavior.
>
> At the cost of hurting the ones that are used to the KDE interaction model.
> The alternative is that those used to Firefox have to press Ctrl-Q the same
> amount of times they have windows open.  Which is not exactly painful, is
> it? I mean, if you put a lot of time into opening 10 rekonq windows, how
> much of a pain is it to close those 10 windows too?
> I'd say its worth the time when this means the user will avoid loosing
> windows that were not meant to be closed.

You are probably not used a lot to read all bugs reported against rekonq. I
can just say that for people using a browser is a really common experience in
every OS they use.
And their experience is basically based on Firefox behavior. That's the road,
you can't do nothing about this.

> Bottom line still is that rekonq is a KDE application, behaving similar to
> other KDE applications makes a lot of sense.

Yes, it makes sense for me too. But this cannot be a "forced model", otherwise
it can be always applied against decisions like menubar, webkit/khtml, the
development itself of rekonq...

> Anyway, I've done as much as I can in defending the usability side as I see
> it, any decision you make is fine with me :)

Let me joke a bit, it seems you "pushed" your vision a bit too much ;)

IMHO, the question is not closed. I'd like to hear again Felix and the other
opinions about what it is better to do.

WEB: http://rekonq.kde.org