[rekonq] quit vs. close

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Aug 19 09:14:36 UTC 2011

On Friday 19 August 2011 10.35.37 Andrea Diamantini wrote:
> > So, in short, it doesn't make sense to me, and from experience I know
> > that it doesn't make sense to a lot more people
>
> It seems to me you are suffering the same problem you see in my workflow.
> In  fact I sincerely trust that the quit = close window habit comes from
> the multitasking design of konqueror.Let's expose the problem in this terms:
> if we add the quit action at the
> end  of the rekonq menu (in the same way Firefox or Chromium do) the quit
> action now will close one window, while in Firefox and Chrom*, the same
> will close the whole app.

Thats why I wrote this at the end of my last email ;)

> > Being consistent and predictable is important for user satisfaction. If
> > you can't be consistent with everyone else, make sure you go with the
> > 'safe' ones so losing work is cut to a minumum.

reusing the behavior of firefox and chromium looses more user-data than reusing
the behavior of other KDE apps.

Also, firefox and chromium were designed for Windows first, where both virtual
desktops and activities are not present.  The concept of running remote X
applications is even unique to Linux.

> And I'm quite sure this make sense to a lot of more
> people of the ones used
> to  dolphin/konqueror behavior.

At the cost of hurting the ones that are used to the KDE interaction model.
The alternative is that those used to Firefox have to press Ctrl-Q the same
amount of times they have windows open.  Which is not exactly painful, is it?
I mean, if you put a lot of time into opening 10 rekonq windows, how much of a
pain is it to close those 10 windows too?
I'd say its worth the time when this means the user will avoid loosing windows
that were not meant to be closed.

Bottom line still is that rekonq is a KDE application, behaving similar to
other KDE applications makes a lot of sense.
Anyway, I've done as much as I can in defending the usability side as I see
it, any decision you make is fine with me :)