[rekonq] Testing Rekonq

Benjamin Poulain benjamin.poulain at nokia.com
Mon Sep 20 18:02:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

This week-end, I did a little hacking on Rekonq and tried to help with
the improvement of test coverage. I miserably failed and I'll share why
here so hopefully that will be better next time. :)

I was trying to make tests for the class MainView. At first, the test
were crashing because this class relies heavily on Application, via all
the call to the unique application instance: Application::instance().

To get that up, I replaced QTEST_KDEMAIN by a custom KDE version
initializing Rekonq's Application.

This was not enough because Application is a subclass of
KUniqueApplication, so that messes up with my running Rekonq instance.
So I extended my custom macro to start the unique instance with the
KUniqueApplication::NonUniqueInstance (final macro attached).

At that point, I could run the test without crashing, but the test were
failing because of configuation issues (and KConfigSkeleton was doing
tons of warning). Basically, I needed to setup a temporary Rekonfig,
setup some stuff, and tear down the temporary config. I felt short on
time and ideas, so I did not have test with my patch.

Hopefully someone here will have ideas to improve testing, and I'll be
able to finish my test next time :)

cheers,
Benjamin