[rekonq] RFC: Per tab modal dialogs

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 20:25:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a proposal for per-tab modal dialogs for dialogs shown by
javascript's alert() and so on. This is similar to how chrome does it
and is a very convenient way.

A couple of use cases.
It often happens that a site with HTTP-authentication asks for a user
name and password. In my case that username is usually open in my
personal wiki or email in another tab. tab-modal dialogs would allow
me to access that after the dialog is launched

Allow closing of incessant javascript alerts or something or be able
to use other tabs even when one tab is doing some interaction via
dialog boxes.

I plan to implement this by overriding QWebpage::javascriptAlert() and
associated functions in Rekonq's WebPage class.
WebView::setEnabled(false) will effectively make the dialog 'modal'
for the tab. I haven't really figured out how to show the dialog in
the tab itself without adding a new 'desktop global' dialog window,
but I think it should be possible. But before I implement it, I'd like
some comments on if this is something people want in Rekonq.

Regards,
Nikhil