[rekonq] Re: Protocol Handling Questions

Nikhil Marathe nsm.nikhil at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 20:03:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Rohan Garg <rohangarg at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Recently i started working on improving the preHandling conditions in rekonq
> and i found myself in a interesting spot.Currently rekonq does file browsing
> natively, but shouldnt rekonq actually pass this to a complete file manager
> such as dolphin?

I agree that Rekonq is not a File manager, but this basic directory browsing is
important because of the following situation (which is almost always why people
browse files from the browser): I want to view a browser viewable file
such as a html file or image. I would rather not launch a file manager
to go search
for that file and open it in this window. So I quickly go to the
directory through the
browser itself and click the file to immediately view it.

So yes, a simple basic browsing mode is good.

> The same goes for FTP protocol handling, rekonq should
> actually limit itself to the browsing the web part ( i know this sounds
> nasty ), but what we should really focus on is a better browsing experience
> rather than provide features that other apps can do better.
> I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I believe FTP handling *should* be handed off to
Dolphin/Konqueror/custom app associated
with ftp://.

Regards,
Nikhil