[rekonq] [ANNOUNCE] rekonq 0.6.1

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 19:04:17 CEST 2010

Hi all,
Just a short mail announcing big news.

First, our new fantastic website: http://rekonq.kde.org is growing every time I go there checking the news :)
No, it's not yet our official site, but it will be as soon as it will be ready.

Second, the move from Gitorious to KDE git platform will start tomorrow. As first step, I will clean out the kde-developers group from Gitorious and ask kde sysadmins to copy
rekonq git repo to git.kde.org. I'd like to taste some days the waters before really starting using it. And I will probably ask help from some of you (Pano?). I wanna clearly
understand before starting using it WHERE every developer can have its git clone, in WHAT WAY the merge request feature has been implemented, how it will be simple
working from the outside for people that like doing it and so on.
So, in the while, development will continue on Gitorious and git.kde.org/rekonq will be just a master clone. But I assume that this period will be not more than one month.
After that, I'll try to propose 2 or 3 profiles for people to contribute (eg: kde-developers, do this way. External developers, do this other way, and so on..). I'll update you on
things happening directly here.

Third, main argument of the mail, the rekonq 0.6.1 release. It's our first bugfix release and it will be probably the one shipped in the distros having rekonq in their packages.
The bugfix list from the 0.6.0 code lists:

- Mem leak fixed in the bar(s)
- Bookmarklets support
- No more focus stealing on external url calls (discussed with kwin developers)
- Chinese sites (right) encoding
- OpenSearch suggestions localized
- Fixed urlbar crash in disconnected mode

I don't know if this will be the last of the 0.6 series. I'm just sure we'll not ship regular releases. We'll see if some important bugfix will come out.

Last, development in master will restart (at least from my side..). Lionel is working on opensearch suggestions, while I'm playing with an idea I have from long time.
I'm basically trying to move DockWidget (the inspector & analyzer panel) inside the webtab. letting each tab having its own panel (as it is natural for inspector & analyzer).
In my first effort, I tried using a QMainWindow embedded inside the tab (you can see it in the PANELS branch). Everything seems working but the fullscreen mode. Going
fullscreen lets X happily crash :(
Further more, I'll work on improving the "private browsing" mode, cloning the same one on firefox or chrome. The other time will be spent improving the autotests and
starting a sort of autobuild test platform. That's all from my side as my main idea for the next release, the tabs up, has been rejected :)

Have a nice day,
Andrea,
from a more stable not yet ok kmail2.