[rekonq] Re: Clear Button in URL bar

Andrea Diamantini adjam7 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 23:28:56 CET 2010

On Thursday 18 November 2010 20:26:30 todd rme wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Andrea Diamantini <adjam7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 November 2010 20:45:58 Pierre Rossi wrote:
> >> As we discussed on #rekonq earlier today I'm personally fine with
> >> "Ctrl+L,
> >>
> >> backspace".
> >
> > Why do you say CTRL + L & backspace?
> >
> > Is it possible in 2010's people has not yet learned that selected
> > (writable) text can be directly overwritten?
> >
> > So, just CTRL + L is sufficient.
>
> That won't work with middle-click paste.  Currently users have to jump
> back and forth from the mouse to the keyboard or use right-click.

Right, it's not working with middle-click.

> >> Your other suggestion to add a button in the UI is pretty much what I
> >> was
> >
> >> proposing in order to keep things simple and flexible:
> > I prefer this over adding a button in the urlbar. No, better. I will
> > explain myself better. For me, adding such button INSIDE the urlbar is
> > NOT an option.
>
> Why not?

There are a lot of reasons about. And they are all in mailing list and IRC
history. I truly think we cannot re-explain everything all the times.
Today for the clear button, tomorrow for the menubar, another day for people
asking why we are not using webkitpart...
We took decisions. These are NOT JUST BASED on KDE HIGs or habits, but also
considering what the most used browsers do.